Friday, May 25, 2012

Photographer Secrets....SSSSSHHHHH



Wow it has been a minute since, I have had time to blog. Typically I like to blog everytime I do a shoot, or right before one. I enjoy reading blogs actually because unlike magazine articles blogs tend to come more from the soul about how you really feel. So how do you really feel about secrets? I mean seriously, is there anything at all in the photography industry that is really a secret? I think I read about more secrets that sound or look like something I have already seen or probably done. Secret tricks, secret locations, secret equipment. I suppose that is also why I blog! To expose everything I am doing so no one need to wonder how I did it. Just about my only real secret is what I am going to do next, and if you follow my blogs you'll soon know that as well. The point is this: There are no secrets. I like to refer to photography as an art form. And art is created to be shared, observed and viewed by everyone. So why the secret?
There are a few photographers whom I have met from which I draw inspiration and motivation just from viewing their work or listening to them talk about a project they have worked on. In fact by the time these photographers finishing addressing a group or having a dialogue, I feel like I can pick up my camera and recreate exactly what they just spoke about because they share so much information about their work. I mean it's art. It's not 11 herbs and spices, or some kind of burger sauce, or Apple vault. There is nothing to steal and yet everything to enjoy.
I recently spent some time in the Nashville Tennessee and Fort Campbell Kentucky areas and I met people who for both of us were first time meetings, and in a very short period of time we have bonded into what will be lifelong friendships based soley off the fact that we each share a love of photography so great that we have either collaborated on something small during my time in the midwest, or we are collaborating on something of epic proportion in the near future. My recommendation would be that if you have something you consider a secret, you share it with someone. Maybe they'll humor you by pretending to be dumbfounded about how in the world did you do that? One of my favorite past times is to look at a photo and deconstruct the lighting, a very useful thing I learned from one of those photographers that inspire. You might not ever get rich from doing it, but it is a valuable resource to know. Humor me, it is a very valuable tool for the photography bag. So what is the purpose of this particular blog? To dispell all the secrets and encourage you to embrace the love of sharing your talents. Of course this is entirely my own opinion, but I am sure that someone reading this blog will either confess to being guilty of it, or have known someone who is  helplessly fooling no one but oneself, so there went the secret up in smoke.

Equipment used:
Black backdrop ( I use a black felt material purchased at Michaels when I want ultra dark background)
tungston light bulb reflected off  white wall to camera left.
gridded snoot used to backlight smoke placed off model's left aimed at smoke and face
Nikon 85mm f2.5
ISO 100
S/S 1/15th sec.

Today I recieved a message from the highschool senior; Ange Smith, whom I worked with on a school project where she was contacted me to shadow the day in the life of a photographer (See blog dated: 10/2/2011 Highschool photographer picks up on fashion) . Instead I put her in my shoes and let her deal with the client, arrange, the shoot, set it up, and actually experience the day in the life of a photographer by doing a fashion shoot. Ange Smith not only got a real life experience, she also got bragging rights when the client used her photos on their website to advertise. Ms Smith mailed me an invitation to her senior graduation followed by a text message that read "You've made a huge impact on my photography and my senior year" This text message made my day, and I am glad I was able to help her achieve not only her goal but also her aspiration. Ms. Smith I am honored. Bluestilling 101.

No comments:

Post a Comment