Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Taking a shot in the dark (series 2)







"Is something suppose to happen tonight? What are you seeing out there? It's nothing but black." were the comments I got while standing at the edge of the water with my lens pointing into the murky dark sky and darker water. I smiled at first, thinking this would be the best time to pull one of those pranks where you get people to stand around waiting for something to appear while knowing all along that nothing will happen. Instead I kindly explained the process of "long shutter" to both couples. The first couple was a young artist who raps and his girlfriend. The second couple was a ballerina dancer and her boyfriend. This night was definitely meant to be a blend of talents, I would say. The dancer and her boyfriend, also aspiring photographers really became interested, so I look to soon read a blog and view some photos from them. The first photo is what the naked eye saw standing on the shoreline of Ruston Way. The second photo is the goldmine found only from shooting into the darkness. My camera (Nikon D700 with a Tamron 17-35 f2.8 lens) settings were as follow: 20mm, ISO 2500 f18, 10.0 seconds. As I mentioned in my last post, you must use a tripod. I also use a remote shutter release and shoot from my camera's mirror up mode to eliminate all possibilities of vibration movement. Here in this use of long shutter, there are no moving lights. Everything is stationary instead of streaks of light moving fast across the photo, as in my previous blog. My next post on this subject will incorporate using a model while shooting with the shutter open for an extended period. The strobe is used to light up foreground and to freeze the natural movements of a subject in the foreground while shooting long shutter. I am excited about doing it, and seeing the results. If someone decide to do it before I do, please drop me a comment and show me your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment